Tuesday, January 5, 2010

HTCAP: Chapter 9

Last chapter! It came too soon!

Dave Hitz realized that "whining is the evil twin to vision" so he started writing a future history of the company. Rather than writing his good ideas for what he wanted the company to become in the future tense, he'd use the past tense as though those things had already happened. He never says exactly what was in that future history. I wish he had, but I guess those are secrets OR they've already happened by now!

Then Dave Hitz talked about how there was the personal computing age, then the networking age, and now we're in the data age. Individual computing and being on the network is no longer as important as gathering and searching through data so the people who sell data storage really rule the world!

Wow, what a great book. The last line was an oh shit moment though because Dave Hitz wrote "Always listen to my mother." Almost a year ago, I took advice from Dave Hitz from the first chapter to never listen to my mother. I thought he was totally right at the time, and Mom and I haven't really spoken since. But I get it now, so here's my future history.

After finishing HTCAB, I sent my mom a copy with a note telling her to read the whole thing. Then I called her up, and we laughed about the whole thing and talked for an hour about our favorite parts of the book. Later, Dave Hitz offered me a job so now I'm working directly for him, learning from his every move!

I've said it before. Dave Hitz is a genius. I hope you've enjoyed these reviews. We'll see where this blog goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment