Monday, April 6, 2009

HTCAB: Truthful Interlude

To be honest, the interlude after Chapter 6 kind of lost me. I kind of knew that I was in trouble when Dave Hitz started it with "Sometimes I like to play with ideas." When Dave Hitz starts like that, what chance to I have to keep up!

The basic idea, I think, is that there are some things that you can prove to be true, but there are other things that you just trust to be true because they make things easier. But I'm not really, and here's where Dave Hitz really lost me:

Maybe we should keep looking for scientific-truths that are just as convincing as important useful-truths. Perhaps we could even discover a scientific-religion. If you believe that religions offer useful-truths that are not scientific-truths, then the trick would be to find the corresponding scientific-truths. You might supplement God says be nice to your neighbors with Axelrod's computer simulations proce that you should be nice to your neighbors."


Man, deep stuff! Next Dave Hitz writes "I have wandered far into the clouds." Whew! Glad it's not just me. I'm not sure how this stuff ties into the rest of the book, but I'm glad for the interludes so that Dave Hitz doesn't have to just follow the conventional structure for what management books are like (including starting from Chapter 0)!

No comments:

Post a Comment